This is to notify the general public that with the reopening of border gates, the Ministry of Labour and Human Resources (MoLHR) has started approving Border Town Foreign Workers (BTFWs) w.e.f. 23rd September, 2022. All the employers who wish to recruit BTFWs are required to apply to the Department of Labour for approval through the online MoLHR-MIS system. The Guideline for the Approval, Employment and Management of Border Town Foreign Workers (BTFWs) is available in the publications, Department of Labour, MoLHR website.
In addition to the Guideline, the following key points are to be noted:
- A BTFW is an Indian national who enters the international border gate for a specific approved work during the day and returns to his/her country on the same day.
- Employers can apply for BTFW themselves or they can use the service of FWRAs.
- The validity of the work permit shall be for the actual duration or one year whichever is less.
- BTFWs shall enter and exit the border town as per the immigration rules and procedures.
- BTFWs must initially be subject to all the procedures including the medical testing as applicable to regular foreign workers.
- BTFWs shall be required to undergo health screening every quarter.
- Employers shall take full responsibility of their BTFWs.
- BTFWs will be subject to Regulation on Foreign Workers Management 2022 and Labour and Employment Act of Bhutan 2007.